Friday, November 21, 2014

How many more "Godmen" must we tolerate?

Several years ago, I was invited to an ashram on the outskirts of Bombay to attend a sermon by a Godman. The invitation came from a young industrialist - the baba was speaking after a long time and I was told it was sure to be a memorable occasion.

The crowds had gathered from the morning when I reached the well-appointed ashram. White chairs were laid out for the VIPs - I spotted a Hollywood film actor, a retired star from the Bombay film industry, a couple of local politicians and several others who were clearly rich and well-connected. All around the platform were less-privileged devotees, the masses, standing under the scorching mid-morning sun. The sermon was a short one, full of homilies and messages, but it appeared that several people were moved just by the sight of the ageing baba.

Soon after, my host took me aside and introduced me to a couple of officious looking men. They did not waste time in preliminaries - the baba was getting a lot of bad press - there were allegations of sexual exploitation of female disciples; they needed support and advice. Could I help? A sweet retainer would be my reward. Needless to say, I declined. Full story...

Read also: Rampal’s army was armed to the teeth...

Related posts:
  1. Indian guru booked for forcing minor girl into unnatural sex...
  2. Kashmir's self-styled godman arrested for rape of young girls...
  3. Swami Nithyananda implicated in serious video sex scandal... 
  4. Hot yoga's Bikram Choudhury accused of sexual harassment by protege...
  5. Psychic faces jail for conning women into performing naked sex acts...
  6. Exposing India's fake god-men and gurus...

No comments:

Post a Comment