Thursday, February 26, 2015

Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew sedated, on life support...

Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's 91-year-old founding father, remains on life support in intensive care being treated for severe pneumonia, the government said Thursday.

A statement from the Prime Minister's Office said Lee is sedated and on mechanical ventilation. His doctors have restarted him on antibiotics, and are continuing to monitor him closely, it said.

Lee was admitted to Singapore General Hospital on Feb. 5.

Singapore's first prime minister, Lee ruled for 31 years until 1990, and has been credited with transforming the city-state from a sleepy tropical port to a wealthy, bustling financial hub with one of the highest incomes in the world.

In his 2013 book, "One man's View of the World," Lee said he signed a legal document informing doctors not to keep him alive if his death is imminent.

"Some time back, I had an Advanced Medical Directive done which says that if I have to be fed by a tube, and it is unlikely that I would ever be able to recover and walk about, my doctors are to remove the tube and allow me to make a quick exit. I had it signed by a lawyer friend and a doctor," he said.

He said: "There is an end to everything and I want mine to come as quickly and painlessly as possible, not with me incapacitated, half in coma in bed and with a tube going into my nostrils and down to my stomach. In such cases, one is little more than a body." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Elderly Lee Kuan Yew ailing?
  2. How do you spell Singapore without "LKY"?
  3. An interview with Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew in 1967...
  4. LeeKuanYew-istan Forever! Singapore as a role model for the world...
  5. Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew was "a big frog in a small pond", says Mahathir...
  6. Singapore leaders try to play down Lee Kuan Yew's comments about Muslims...

No comments:

Post a Comment