Thursday, July 28, 2016

I am a Muslim doctor. I saved a Christian in Pakistan and it nearly cost me my life...

(...)

Life seemed well on track until one night while working an ER shift, when I received a patient needing urgent dialysis. Unattended and disheveled as he was, there was no one with him to get him the medicine he needed. Fearing he might die, I instinctually grabbed the emergency medicine donated via zakaat, an Islamic system of alms-giving, and performed the life-saving hemodialysis.

He survived but I immediately faced the wrath of the nurse. She was mad at me because the patient was a Christian and she said Islamic alms are not meant to be used on non-Muslims. But I did not know the patient’s faith, nor did I know that such a law existed.

I promptly replaced the medicine, which cost around $20. But it didn’t end there. The representative of a conservative Islamic NGO, which was a donor to the clinic, was furious about what I had done. They attributed my lack of knowledge about the alms laws to the fact that I belong to a minority Muslim sect.

A departmental inquiry followed and I was discriminated throughout the entire process. The workplace discrimination gave way to threatening phone calls and vandalism of my car and bike. They found out my family lived in America and that I was alone. This made me an easy target. I was threatened with death at a medical conference hosted by the chair of the same NGO which had complained about me. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. The Lahore attacks are just the latest atrocity in a war on Christians...
  2. Suicide bomber targeting Christians kills 65, mostly women and children, in Pakistan park...
  3. In India, anti-Christian attacks vicious,common...
  4. Pakistani Christians left homeless told to convert to receive flood aid...
  5. India: 600 violent attacks on Christians and Muslims since May...
  6. Christians riot in Pakistan after attacks targeting churches kill 14...
  7. Pakistani Christians burned alive were attacked by 1,200 people...

No comments:

Post a Comment