Friday, December 08, 2017

Nearly a billion people still defecate outdoors. Here’s why...

At 65, Moolchand, bandy-legged and white-haired, has no problem rising for his predawn hunts. In fact he revels in them.

“I hide along the lane with my flashlight,” he says in a low, excited voice, gesturing down the main road of Gaji Khedi village, in India’s Madhya Pradesh state. “And I look for people walking with a lota.”

A lota is a water container, traditionally made of brass but these days more often of plastic. Spied outdoors in the early morning, it all but screams that its owner is headed for a field or roadside to move his or her bowels—the water is for rinsing.

“I give chase,” Moolchand continues. “I blow my whistle, and I dump out their lota. Sometimes I take it away and burn it.” Moolchand sees himself as defending a hard-won honor: The district has declared his village “open defecation free.” “People get angry and shout at me when I stop them,” he says. “But the government has given villagers lots of help to construct a toilet, so there is no excuse.” Full story...

Related posts:
  1. India turns to public shaming to get people to use its 52 million new...
  2. Indian officials are humiliating people who defecate outdoors...
  3. India's anti-pissing tanker...
  4. Indian court grants woman divorce over lack of home toilet...
  5. ‘Sell your wife if you can’t afford toilet’
  6. No brides for houses without toilets say 110 villages from ...
  7. 200 girls in India leave boarding school for lack of toilets...
  8. Indian girl kills herself over lack of toilet at home...
  9. Toilet or divorce: Maharashtra woman's ultimatum to husband...
  10. Photo pose with toilet to get married in India!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment